- Exposure to hazardous substances.
- Fire hazard from incorrectly packages substances.
- Environmental damage from leaking containers.
- Logistics staff dispatching and receipting packaging.
- Staff or contractors transporting packages for STFC.
The nature of work at the STFC involves the movement of a large number of hazardous substances, referred to in transport matters as Dangerous Goods. These are substances which can cause harm to the person, pose a fire hazard, can be explosive, or chemicals which would pollute the environment if released.
The STFC has a responsibility to ensure that any chemicals that leave its sites do so safely. This includes chemicals bought in by a third party as the STFC assumes partial liability for their safe transport when leaving STFC sites.
This code establishes a Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA) to provide advice to managers and staff on packaging requirements and legislative controls for hazardous materials being transported by road, sea or air.